Comparison Essay Definition
If you’ve recently been required to write a comparison essay, you might be saying to yourself, “What is a comparison essay, anyway?” The answer is simple! A comparison essay is an essay that compares two things. Rule of thumb: any essay that’s “this vs that” and includes similarities is a comparison essay.
Comparison Essay Tips
Now you know what a comparison essay is – but not how to write comparison essay. These tips will help you understand and get you motivated to write!
- Choose the right topic: Pick something interesting to you. Maybe you have been told to write a comparison essay about two books. Find what interests you most about those two books, and write about that, instead of just picking generic points.
- Stick to what’s important: There are probably plenty of points of comparison between your two topics. However, to keep it manageable and to your required word length, pick the most important ones. Three to six is usually a good number depending on the length of your paper.
- Write a solid thesis: Your thesis is a one-word summary of your argument. For instance, if you’re arguing that werewolves and vampires are similar, but that ultimately vampires are better, your thesis will look something like this: “While vampires and werewolves have many similarities, it is clear that vampires come out on top in a head to head contest.”
- Decide on structure: There’s more than one way to compare. You can go point by point: for instance, vampires and werewolves are both strong might be one point. Vampires and werewolves are both weak to mundane objects might be another one. On the other hand, you can write your whole vampire section, and then write your werewolf section separately.
- Make an outline: Now that you’ve got everything settled, make yourself a bullet point outline! Put your points of comparison in order. Add primary supporting evidence and quotes. Then, all you have to do now is fill in with complete sentences, and you’re good to go. Also think about catchy comparison essay introduction.
Comparison Essay Help
Remember, whatever you’re doing, writing is hard work. There’s no shame in asking for help. Something that seemed complicated can suddenly become simple when you’ve asked someone how to get a start. Our qualified, reassuring staff of professional writers can help you with that.