Why Do You Need Our Definition Essay Example?
To successfully write a good definition essay, it requires carrying out extensive research and then giving your own understanding of a person, place, object or word in such a way as to give the reader a clear insight in to what you have written about. This can be a very difficult challenge for many people to try their hand at; it requires the writer to have an excellent vocabulary while being able to express their ideas concisely enough for other people to follow.
This type of writing can be helped by using an example of definition essay writing, so that the writer can better understand ways in which a certain subject should be written about as well as the layout of the definition essay which needs to follow in the format of all academic writing. Using a sample definition essay can also help to improve upon the range of words that can be used to fully help explain the subject that needs to be written about. Our experts have got together to help highlight certain points which should be followed when carrying out your writing through some sample definition essay prompts:
- Introductory section
- Use a hook or attention getter. Begin with one of the many different techniques, like a short anecdote, an extended definition or a collection of open-ended questions.
- Bridge between the hook and the thesis. Include a few sentences that help the reader understand what your essay will define.
- The Thesis should include the word you are going to define and how you plan to define it.
- Body paragraphs
- First point about what you are defining.Define the word in a topic sentence that refers back to the thesis.Show examples of the word being used this way.Provide an analysis of the word being used.
- Continue this section in as many paragraphs as you need or as required. In most cases, you should include at least three examples in each paragraph and each example should be analyzed.
- Restate the thesis in new words.
- Restate the main points of the essay with references from all of the body paragraphs.
- Find a way to connect back to the hook attention getter to close the essay.
- Use a plan to guide your research
Your outline plan can help you use skimming and scanning strategies to identify material relevant to your key points.
- If you have trouble with the introduction, start with the body paragraphs.
- Take each main idea and write a paragraph about it.
- Do not worry about style/spelling at this stage – let the ideas flow.
- For each paragraph include a topic sentence that makes it clear what that paragraph is about.
- Leave yourself enough space for editing phase.
- Write the conclusion – it should sum up the content of the body paragraphs and relate back to the title.
- Write the introduction. It is easier to say what your essay sets out to define once you have done it.
- If you have word-processed your draft, print off a hard copy for proofreading.
- Put the draft aside for a day or so and come back to it with a fresh pair of eyes.
By using our example of definition essay we hope that you will have a better understanding of what it takes to write an effective essay and help you to achieve higher grades when your work has been read and then assessed.