A personal statement is part of the application requirements required by the universities. It is required that students will share their personal information, achievements, experiences and others. They need to ensure that the essay is personal and unique.
Scholarship Essay Samples: Best Tips to Know
- Characteristics: In getting started to write your personal statement, you need to think of actions or characteristics that will make your distinctive from others and write it.
- Be honest: You should not overstate accomplishments, especially if it is not true. It is better if you tell honest information to the readers for them to know you more.
- Be yourself: A personal statement is one of the ways to convince the admission committee to accept you that is why you need to be yourself. Just tell who you are, what you did and what you’ve got that others do not have.
- Make it interesting: Have a good approach in writing your essay and it is better to present pertinent unusual features about your experience in revealing your individuality. Doing this will make your essay interesting to read.
- Avoid repetition: Do not make your essay a narrative description of activities because what important is that you need to highlight those that are important.
- Answer questions specifically and concretely: Universities will give questions to applicants, so you need to answer it precisely and well focused. Make sure that you will be responsive in every item you will be answering. Keep in mind that depth is always better compared to breadth.
- Engage your reader quickly: Have compelling or intriguing opening as well as closing sentences.
Initial Research to Be Done: Scholarship Application Essay Sample
In the initial research, make sure that you search for personal statement for scholarship sample essays online to help you getting started. You also need to find the best sample essay and to get enough resources in writing your personal statement.
Format in Writing the Personal Statement
- Introduction: In your introduction, you need to state clearly what the readers will know. You can start writing your essay with your experience, quote or an anecdote. In this section, you need to engage your readers.
- Body: In this part, you need to present who you are, what you did and other information that readers should know.
- Conclusion: End your essay effectively and strongly. You should not present new ideas in here, instead sum up what you have discussed and end it with a statement that will be remembered by the committee.
Difficulties in Writing
There are a lot of tips for writing an essay, but many students still have a hard time in writing because they do not know how to get started and they do not know what format they will use. Many students also start late that is why they tend to rush which results to stress and frustrations.
If you do not know what you will do in your essay, it is better to check an example of a scholarship essay to have a guide. There are also tips that you can check out so that you will know what you will do in getting started.